Monday 1 October 2007

I don't hate Blue Peter .... and other commentary on today's Media Guardian

Monday is upon it, and with it the latest instalment of the journalist's bible ... the Media Guardian.

A frequent subscriber to the Independent myself, I decided to strike a compromise with my lecturers, all of whom managed to insert the words 'Media Guardian' into their various disciplines last week, and read the Guardian on my way to university, and the Independent on my way home.

Two stories in particular caught my eye.

Firstly the rather sad statement 'I hate Blue Peter' used as part of a summary of the week in media.

After my last three blogs, I will assume you can all guess my response to this!

Secondly the introduction of KateModern, a new genre of tv series currently screening on Bebo.

Now you'll have to excuse me, because as far as online networking alliances lie, mine are firmly fixed in Facebook.

Whether this is as a result of my age (Bebo has always struck me as a teenage forum) or my Cambridge background (Facebook debuted in England at Oxbridge), I am not sure.

However, in words echoed from one of my introductory journalism lectures, I was pretty sure that Bebo was 'dead'.

Will this new era of interactive tv revive the most mature of the social networking sites, or is it a last ditch attempt to divert attention from its more sophisticated offspring?

Time will tell, however the introduction of KateModern, and the show's inclusion of band 'The Days', appears to echo the shift of focus by the BBC.

Last week the Corporation announced its move towards interractive media for teenagers, including the introduction of new show 'Signs of Life' and the recruitment of Kelly Osbourn.

No comments: