Saturday 13 October 2007

Cambridge University's Primary Review

The results of yesterday's review into primary school children have furthered worries about literacy, anti-social behaviour, materialism and the cult of personality.

And rightly so ...

Whilst many primary-age children struggle to even spell their name, when it comes to celebrity identity they are all clued up.

PR and Marketing agencies are appealing to younger and younger audiences, having identified the persuasive influence children have over their parents' spending.

With 'young' versions of adult magazines, and evening television created for an ever expaning age-group, children are growing up far too fast.

The world these days is increasingly materialistic and celebrity obsessed.

And children are being thrown into that world far too early.

You only have to look at the front pages of the very magazines which peddle the cult of personality to see the damaging effects of the world they have created.

Stars are dropping like flies, spiralling into depression, drug abuse, and nervous breakdowns.

Children should be sheltered from the realities of the 21st century, not used to financially support them.

When I was seven I just about knew who Kylie Minogue was.

I had one tape of hers, which I treasured, and the most high-tech item I owned was a propelling pencil, which I thought was awesome.

My happiest memories as a child were making 'perfume' out of rose petals, and learning how to make a cup of tea for my Hostess badge.

I must have been 14 or 15 by the time I properly even thought about celebrities, or realised the female desire to be ever-thinner.

I had a childhood!

Shouldn't we let the next generation have theirs?

No comments: